History of Jackson
The first settlers in our area came from Madbury, New Hampshire and they called their new settlement New Madbury. At the time of incorporation on December 4, 1800, Adams was adopted as the town name in honor of President John Adams. It remained so until 1829 when the name was changed to Jackson.
While the record, official or otherwise, is unclear as to who instigated the name change, it was motivated in response to the election of President Andrew Jackson, the hero of the Battle of New Orleans. The popularity of President Jackson is reflected in that only one vote was cast for keeping Adams as the name.
In the mid-1800s, Jackson became a popular destination for artists arriving by coach to capture the scenic beauty of the area on their canvases. Others attracted by what they saw on canvas began to arrive. At first, farmers opened their doors to these visitors, and many expanded their own homes into boarding houses. Hotels were then built to accommodate visitors arriving by train for the summer to enjoy the mountain air, croquet, and conversation on the expansive porches.
For additional Jackson history, contact the
Jackson Historical Society
PO Box 8, Jackson
(23 Black Mountain Road) NH 03846